After all the effort to integrate a complete virtual assistant into the Google Pixe, the company decided to extend it to almost all devices with Android. Everybody? No, the tablets were inexplicably left out of the deal. Although it was only a matter of time: in XDA Developers have found a way to make it work. For now.
Assistant is integrated into the Google application, also on tablets: just activate it by logging activities. That yes: it works in English and you will not be able to use it by pressing and holding the Home button. Want to try it on your tablet? Keep reading.
Activate Google Assistant: in English and without many complications
As we said, you need to access your tablet’s activity log to find the one that references Google Assistant. The process is simple, but you have to go step by step.
- Start by putting your tablet language in US English.
- Download Activity Launcher and launch it.
- Click on the top menu and select All activities.
- Find the Google app, click on it and select ” com.google.android.apps.gsa.staticplugins.opa.hq.OpaHqActivity “.
- You will skip the “Explore” window with everything you can do with the Google app. Select the “Your Stuff” tab.
- Press Add Reminder and the Google Assistant will pop out. Train it with your voice and you’ll already be active.
Through this process you will have active Google Assistant on your tablet. It will be accessible through “Ok Google”: just say the phrase and will automatically jump the assistant. It works just like in mobiles: only in English and with all the usual interactions.
Another disadvantage, besides the language, is that you have Google Now and Assistant at the same time . Holding down the Home button will exit Now; If you use Ok Google will appear the wizard. You will not have to give up either, at least as long as Google keeps the activity within the tablet search application.