Best Health Benefits Of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha which is traditional indian medicine, known as Ayurveda practice, well established in the south of the Asian continent, has one of its fundamental pillars in medicinal plants with benefits. And one of the essential plants to make up your healing remedies is, for more than two thousand years, modest nightshade, known in Hindi Ashwagandha. The meaning, not very glamorous, of this double word (‘ashva’ and ‘gandha’) would come to be ‘smell of horse urine,’ an appreciation usually always subjective.
But at an informative level and as a resource to characterize its healing power. It has also been baptized as Indian ginseng in some sources since it rivals Chinese ginseng as a powerful natural revitalizer. It intends to alleviate psychosomatic problems such as stress, insomnia, or anxiety. And also a very effective remedy against weakness and nervous fatigue.
What Is Ashwagandha Like And Where Is It?
The Ashwagandha Withania somnifera (L.) Dunai, also known by the name of oroval and bufera somnífera (in Catalan), is a plant of the Solanaceae family. Since historical times in India, it is using as a medicinal remedy for its tonic and anti-rheumatic virtues.
Between 60 and 120 cm high, sometimes up to a meter and a half. When it grows on incredibly humid and fertilizer soils, the Ashwagandha or Withania has sturdy, semi-woody stems, large leaves, oblong-oval in shape, and bell-shaped flowers, greenish-yellow, which appear in the axils of the leaves.
The berries are fleshy spheres 8 millimeters in diameter, bright red, darken when ripe. The berries are edible, but their seeds contain some toxicity due to the presence of alkaloids. It blooms during mid-spring, and during the summer.
It is found in India and Pakistan in low-lying coastal areas. Still, it extends west to the Lebanese coast, North Africa, Crete, and some points along the European Mediterranean coast. In Spain, although in a scattered and rare way, we can find it on the coast of Levante, Murcia, and Andalusia, plus a few points in Mallorca and Ibiza. Its status as a native plant is not clear. It occupies disturbed spaces, wastelands, abandoned lots, and roadsides. Somewhat more frequent is the related species, Withania frutescens, present in the southeast of the peninsula and North Africa.
Benefits of Ashwagandha For Health
As you can see, the benefits of Ashwagandha for health are numerous. So experts recommend it for the following cases, but before deciding to use it, always consult a specialist:
- Adaptogenic remedy, a relatively recent term that defines a substance’s ability to help us cope with an adverse or changing situation. That allows us to cope with it in better conditions.
- Ashwagandha facilitates sleep and helps alleviate insomnia. Also it develops the deepest and most restful sleep.
- Due to its nature as a revitalizing plant, as orovale, used to treat mild and specific depressive and anxious states.
- It also intends to treat attention deficit due to nervous hyperactivity, although it is not proves its effectiveness scientifically.
- Ashwagandha is uses to clear the mind and to promote mental relaxation.
- It is an outstanding revitalizing agent, it intends mainly for the elderly, to slow down the loss of spirits and vitality and combat asthenia.
- Withania also intends to combat nervous fatigue, weakness, and anemic states due to iron deficiency.
- Its elevated use has to mitigate the side effects of taking antipsychotic drugs used to treat mental illness by mitigating. It may increase in lipid and sugar levels that these could generate.
- It has also laid a specific immunomodulatory effect, which would favor the increase in white blood cells. That strengthens the body against the eventuality of infection or pathogenic attack.
- Recent studies, echoed by the Phytotherapy, attest to the efficacy of ethanolic extracts of Withania root to prevent bone loss in experiments with mice. This treatment, applied to humans, could increase bone resistance to fractures.
- In Ayurvedic medicine, Ashwagandha is also use to improve sexual response and promote fertility.