Thin people who want to gain weight can face many difficulties. Although it is thought that it is easy to gain kilos, in reality, it is a complex and slow process in which several habits must be combined. The main question is what is the diet to gain weight?
Diet, being one of the key aspects, must contain varied foods of high nutritional quality. While there are fewer restrictions than in plans to lose weight, it is not about overeating or “in any way”
Achieving an ideal weight is not an exclusive need of overweight and obese people; Being below a normal weight carries a series of risks to health and quality of life.
How to gain weight through diet? What should be taken into account to gain muscle mass and not fat? Below we collect a series of information that allows us to solve these questions.
Do not miss it!
How should a diet be to gain weight in a healthy way?
The diet to gain weight may vary according to the needs of each person. Ideally, each visit a nutrition professional, because they must take into account relevant aspects such as health status, the current type of food and lifestyle.
It should be noted that the speed of weight gain is much slower and, therefore, requires the same or more patience than when adopting a diet to lose weight. The results depend on the effort and discipline with which this challenge is assumed.
Keys to gain weight successfully
- The caloric intake must be higher than the energy expenditure, that is, about 400 or 500 extra calories.
- The diet should be abundant in protein sources and complex carbohydrates.
- The consumption of foods rich in saturated fats and sugars should be controlled. These can increase the percentage of fat, but not the muscle mass.
- Include foods with “healthy” or unsaturated fats.
- To guarantee a good hydration to maintain an optimal energy and metabolic state.
- Have breakfast every day and do not skip a single main meal.
- Support the effects of the diet with a strength training routine, focused on increasing muscle mass.
Recommended foods to gain weight
There is a wide variety of healthy foods that can help you gain muscle mass to gain weight in a
healthy way. The best options are those that provide proteins of high biological value, complex carbohydrates,
and healthy fats.
These foods are also classified as “high energy density” because they contain a large number of
calories compared to their weight.
The recommended foods to include in the diet to gain weight are:
- Whole grains: brown rice, oats, rye, pasta, etc.
- Meat: chicken, turkey, veal, lamb, etc.
- Legumes: lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc.
- Dehydrated fruits: grapes, dates, plums, peaches, etc.
- Nuts: nuts, almonds, peanuts, etc.
- Fats and oils: extra virgin olive oil, sunflower or avocado.
- Dairy products rich in fat: whole milk, cheese, cream, yogurt.
- Tubers: sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc.
- Milk vegetables: coconut, almonds, oats.
- Fish and seafood: salmon, sardines, trout, shrimp, etc.
- Fruits and vegetables: all varieties.
Example of diet to gain weight
The menus to gain weight are very varied and can include any of the mentioned foods. The important thing
is to create combined dishes, which allow meeting the caloric and nutritional requirements.
Below we share an example of diet for those who want to gain weight. It is a basic plan that can serve
as a model to create the menus of the week. Of course, it is valid to vary it according to special
needs or preferences.
- Three eggs prepared to taste, two tablespoons of whole grain, half avocado and a cup of tea or
- A glass of whole milk and a portion of whole wheat bread with fresh cheese and avocado.
- A bowl of oatmeal with fruit, eggs prepared to taste, a portion of bread and coffee with milk.
- One serving of fish, half a plate of brown rice, one serving of mixed salad and one cooked potato.
- A plate of spaghetti with vegetables, grilled breast, and baked potato.
- A bowl of chicken broth, a serving of brown rice, breast or roast beef and salad.
- A bowl of lentil salad with boiled egg and smoked salmon.
- A baked chicken fillet and sauteed vegetables.
- A plate of vegetable broth with chicken and potatoes.
- Snacks for morning and afternoon:
- A glass of milk or yogurt.
- A bowl of fruit with oat flakes.
- A cup of oatmeal with milk.
- A handful of nuts or dehydrated fruits.
- A glass of orange juice and a sandwich.
Gaining weight is a slow task that can have its ups and downs; However, opting for a good diet and
exercise can give very satisfactory results. Try it and enjoy its benefits!