Sugar is an essential substance for life, as well as being part of the most pleasurable foods; however, this compound is a double-edged sword, before which you must have judgment. That is why today we bring you everything you need to take into account regarding what sugar represents for your proper functioning and the affects of sugar on your body.
In this article you will learn the affects of sugar consumption on the maintenance of a healthy life . First of all, you should know that it is in your body in the form of glucose.
The glucose is the main source of energy in the body , for life support functions such as temperature regulation, breathing or heartbeat, among others. In itself, this molecule is responsible for giving energy to your entire body. Thus, just as gasoline allows movement to a car, glucose allows it to the organism.
This is nothing more than a simple sugar found in the blood. You can get the same through food, specifically carbohydrates. This type of substances are present in flours, fruits, in rice and, of course, sweets.
When you eat, the food is broken down into substances that can be used by the body. The carbohydrates are then transformed into glucose; This will later be transformed into glycogen, which will be an energy reserve that will be stored in the liver.
Affects Of Sugar On Your Body?
Your pancreas receives the signals that a food has been ingested and produces insulin , a hormone that will make cells more sensitive so that they can pick up glucose. It is the bridge that allows the passage of glucose.
This shows that consuming carbohydrates is crucial so that you can keep your body active and vital, but you must do it in adequate amounts. It is no secret how delicious are sweets, pizzas, pasta and many other foods with a high carbohydrate content .
You must remember that the latter translate into huge amounts of sugar. This in turn represents damage to your own body, a lethal weapon; The excess of glucose in the blood, called hyperglycemia, does not imply that you are going to have a more full body of energy .
Consequences Of Excess Blood Sugar
This surplus is a generator of diseases such as type 2 diabetes, where the pancreas still produces insulin but the cells are unable to capture them and become resistant to this hormone. What does this imply? Your body will be unable to absorb glucose and you will be fatigued.
In addition, one of the main affects of sugar is that the blood becomes acidic, not sweet. This causes deficiency in the work of the different systems that make up your body. It can also cause different infections, causing a condition called ketoacidosis .
Likewise, there is another series of damages generated by excess glucose:
- Weight gain, because the liver transforms this excess into fat in adipose tissue, and may even cause obesity.
- The brain, the master organ, is severely affected by acid blood , as it reduces its plasticity.
Contrary to what you may believe, it slows down its functions, it can harm it to the point of reaching a coma.
- As the kidneys are responsible for filtering what harms your body , there is an overload of work for them. This could later translate into a renal failure if this becomes repetitive.This process generates an insatiable thirst, as well as frequent urges to urinate, the most representative signs of hyperglycemia.
- Your tissues in general would be in danger, because this picture accelerates the oxidation process of the cells.
- An effect that little is named has to do with the emotional impact, precisely because of all this alteration in the functioning of the brain. You can become highly irritable and upset with the increase in blood sugar .
Remember that your body always seeks balance. An imbalance implies an attack on your well-being. Eating in proper proportions and exercising is the key to enjoy a healthy and long life.