Many people have an addiction to chocolate, a food that has the benefits of cocoa but is not so beneficial because of its content in unhealthy sugars and fats.
In this article, we detail the benefits of pure cocoa and how we can enjoy its flavor as much or more than with chocolate.
Why chocolate is not healthy?
Chocolate is not just cocoa. Moreover, in many cases, the percentage of cocoa does not exceed 35%.
What, then, are the remaining 65% of the ingredients? Fats and sugars.
The refined sugar content can reach up to 50%, which is a lot if we consider that we can eat several ounces at a time.
For example, in two ounces of chocolate (30 g), we can find 15 grams of sugar and 10 grams of fat.
Another ingredient, when it comes to milk chocolate, is high-fat dairy. These fats not only do not suit us, they also worsen the assimilation of some antioxidant components of this food.
Why is cocoa healthy?
These are the healthy properties of this superfood:
- It gives us a sense of well-being and happiness.
- It is a powerful antioxidant that fights the effect of free radicals both internally and externally.
- It is an energetic and stimulating food that gives us energy and vitality.
- It has a high content of magnesium, so it benefits our bones and muscles.
- It improves hypertension and lowers cholesterol levels.
- Improves attention and concentration.
- It has diuretic properties.
- Unlike chocolate, pure cocoa improves insulin resistance, so it may be suitable for obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Tips for enjoying cocoa
Here are 5 ideas to enjoy this medicinal food at the same time that we benefit from all its properties.
With pure cocoa, we can prepare delicious and healthy homemade chocolates free of sugar and dairy, a temptation for lovers of black chocolate.
The secret is to mix the cocoa with extra virgin coconut oil, which solidifies with the cold.
- 1 cup pure cocoa powder (100 g)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (48 g)
- Stevia, agave syrup or honey (to taste)
- We only have to mix the ingredients at a temperature above 23 ° C for the coconut oil to be liquid.
- Then we will put the liquid in molds of chocolates or ice cubes and we will cool it in the refrigerator.
- In an hour our chocolates will be ready.
We can prepare a cocoa drink with a taste similar to some that are commercialized but much healthier, without dairy or sugar, combining the cocoa with some vegetable drink (oats, rice, almond, etc.).
We can also give the touch of some spice such as cinnamon or vanilla extract.
This drink, which we can sweeten to our taste, is delicious both cold and hot and is energetic and comforting at any time.
For those who like homemade pastries, we recommend using pure cocoa as a flour, instead of chocolate in tablet or melted, which contains a lot of sugar and added fats.
In this way, we also reduce the refined flours of our diet and get more nutritious desserts, rich in vitamins and minerals.
Thus, we can make recipes as known as the brownie, the coulant or the cake Sacher.
No one could resist a chocolate milkshake. If we go out and take one, it will probably be made with chocolate and milk or ice cream.
However, at home, we can do it with pure cocoa and banana, a fruit that brings creaminess and natural sweetness to our drink, and even makes it an excellent energy drink.
Infusions chai cocoa
Chai infusions are usually made with a tea (black, green or rooibos in general) and a variety of spices ( cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, pepper, etc.).
We should not hesitate to add some cocoa to some infusions like this, especially if we are going to be accompanied by a little milk or vegetable drink.
A medicinal drink ideal for cold days.